command line options (UNIX-specific)

Dave Morton dave at ecrcvax.UUCP
Tue Apr 19 21:28:08 AEST 1988

Expires:

In article <14020029 at hpisod2.HP.COM> decot at hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
>Why don't we bite the bullet and change our kernels to refuse
>to create files whose names begin with a hyphen or contain
>non-printing characters (unless special arrangements are made
>by the user to permit it)?

You'll only have to change them right back again when you want
to sell a system in Europe and people begin to insist on, at
least, ISO 8859/1. If you can put umlauts in your file why
shouldn't the file name also have an umlaut if your terminal
supports it ?

>There is no particular advantage for users to be allowed to
>use such filenames, but their accidental or naive creation has
>historically and provably caused a good deal of trouble for
>(even advanced) users.  See "a rm question" elsewhere in
>this newsgroup for yet another example.
If memory serves me correctly, ATT have a French and German
Application Environment available since 5.3.1 and according to
information from them at that time the support was at the
kernel level, which implies that one could create a file with
a French or German name.....well mabye not.....they also
mentioned the utilities that were changed to provide 8-bit
support, rm was not one of them. This may have changed since.

BTW - I thought HP were the first to come up with an
international 8-bit system for Europe - are you guys having
second thoughts ?