Lots of NFS cross mounts?

berger at datacube.UUCP berger at datacube.UUCP
Tue Apr 5 13:17:00 AEST 1988

We are planning to have about 30 Sun 3/50's and 3/60's on our network.
Our plan is to put 150Mbyte to 380Mbyte SCSI drives on all of these
instead of running them diskless. It seems to be cheaper than having a
few large nd servers. Personal and some group file systems would be on
each of these local disks and they would generally be cross NFS
mounted all around the net.

Does anyone have any experience with having many (30 or more) partions
cross mounted on many (30 or more) machines? Are there any impacts
that we should be aware of?

One thing that makes us nerveous is a problem we have seen on our
current set up. The problem is when one server is down but clients
have partitions of the downed server NFS mounted.  The clients get
bogged down even when they are not explicitly trying to access
partitions on the downed server. We are using Soft mounts....

Please send pointers, comments, suggestions to:

				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	berger at datacube.COM,  rutgers!datacube!berger, ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger