Sun 3.5 Wierdness

Mike Smithwick mike at ames.arpa
Thu Apr 21 02:31:19 AEST 1988

[]
We have a network of Sun 3s here to do Air Traffic Control simulation.
One computer will generate aircraft, another will display the radar screen,
and others are "pseudo-pilot" stations for controlling the descent profiles
of the aircraft. Needless to say, there are lots of IPC stuff zipping back
and forth on Ether.net. Up until now, everything worked okee-dokee. Until. . .
(cue dramatic worrisome music)

We've just upgraded to SunOS 3.5 (from 3.4), and all of the IPC stuff got
screwed up. "Slow" is the word most commonly tossed about.
transmissions across sockets are delayed up to several seconds throwing
our timing all-2-hell. So far Sun hasn't been of much help, although
one guy hinted that there were some new parameters added to the system
that weren't documented.

I've heard two other complaints about the same problem. Anyone else
experience it or have any ideas?

*** mike ***
:
--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"After all, isn't our only real purpose in life merely to make the person