Kernel Hacks & Weird Filenames

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sat Apr 23 11:13:23 AEST 1988

Many moons ago I wrote a program called "rmf" that went through a
directory and looked for files with "funny" names and prompted the
user to either change the name, remove the file or leave it as is.

The criteria I used were just a bunch of heuristics that I would
accept suggestions on from the user community, funny chars, blanks,
very long (tolerance was settable from the command line or defaulted
to something like 32 chars), stuff like that.

Anyhow, it's a simple exercise, and it might be a good answer to what
seems to be motivating this conversation (I can't find a copy of the
program right now.) No, you're not going to write a set of criteria to
universally satisfy everyone, it's also version dependant, but you can
come quite close to perfect for your local systems without too much
effort.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University