FileNames with the high bit set.

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Mon Apr 11 09:50:44 AEST 1988

In article <8120010 at eecs.nwu.edu> naim at eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) writes:
>... open(2) and creat(2) return EINVAL if the pathname
>supplied to them has a character with the high order bit set.

I don't recall exactly which release of 4BSD introduced this "yet
another better idea", somewhere around 4.1cBSD I think.  Yes, it
is a bogus feature.  Note that the latest Bourne shells from AT&T
no longer mess around with the high bits of characters in names.
(The latest releases of the Korn shell also have this fixed.)  I
think vendors have finally realized that 7-bit ASCII is parochial.