Kernel Hacks & Weird Filenames

Bill.Stewart.<ho95c> wcs at skep2.ATT.COM
Mon Apr 25 05:56:31 AEST 1988

:>From Scott Preece:
:>-------------------------------------------------
:>>> I'm not saying I support the idea of prohibiting filenames with embedded
:>>> special characters (my immediate question is "Special to whom?" -- what
:>      This is a very valid point.  To hack the kernel to prohibit
:>special characters in filenames would create more headaches than
:>...
:>For this reason,  I would suggest hacking sh, csh,
:>and ksh to reflect this change.

	Arrgh!  Korn et al. went to a lot of work to get *rid* of silly
	restrictions on filenames in ksh (8th-bit trashing in particular)
	specifically so you could do foreign characters in filenames.
	In the process, this gets rid of most objections to them - the
	main reason you couldn't rm \366\322\333 was because the shell
	trashed your command to  rm \166\122\133 , which of course rm
	couldn't find.  There are still a few insidious names left
	(such as names with nulls in them), but a lot fewer.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs