ENOBUFS error in network programs -- how to fix?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Apr 7 13:42:23 AEST 1988

In article <699 at acornrc.UUCP>, bob at acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
>Lately, on a Vax 11/750 running 4.2bsd, we've been getting ENOBUFS
>errors ("No buffer space available") ....

If these occur on connections that go over an `IMP' (anything that you
configure with `ifconfig imp0 ...' [or imp1, etc.]), the problem is
most likely the IMP message queue size bug.  This and a whole raft of
other bugs (numbering in the *hundreds*) are fixed in 4.3BSD.

If that is not it, run `netstat -m' to see whether it really is
running out of mbufs (`%d requests for memory denied' should always
be `0').