How can I read a damaged dump?

williams at nrl-css.arpa williams at nrl-css.arpa
Thu Aug 18 00:01:57 AEST 1988

	I have a set of dump tapes of which the first is damaged (i.e.
written over).  By sheer luck, we have the first few megs of the first
tape in a file, so the symbol table is recoverable.  What I need is a
method of reading the remaining 9 tapes of this dump and coordinating
it with the symbol table.  What I have in mind is some sort of utility
that can read any tape in a dump and extract files from that tape by
inode number.  I could then use some other method to rebuild the file
system structure, based on the information in the symbol table.  Has
anyone ever written such a thing, or dealt with this situation some
other way.  It is very important that we recover this data, so any
hints, clues or actual code would be a great help.  I have source for
dump and restore available so I suppose I could hack those, but that
doesn't sound fun.

Much thanks,

Jim Williams

	"*I* didn't overwrite that tape, *you* didn't overwrite it,
*he* didn't overwrite it, well just who did, hmmmm?"

James W. Williams			williams at nrl-css.arpa
Systems Administrator, Code 5505
Information Technology Division
Naval Research Laboratory		(202) 767-9035
Washington, DC 20375