Accessing a VAX tape drive from a Sun 3

Tony Willis willis at auvax.UUCP
Sun Aug 28 12:21:46 AEST 1988

Hi Netlanders,

I have a Sun 3/160 with Sun OS3.5 which is connected over Ethernet to
a Vax 785 running Ultrix. The Sun itself has no 9-track tape drive but the
785 has a standard DEC tape drive (TU 77?). I need to be able
to use that tape drive with my Sun in order to read and write
large amounts of scientific data on 9-track tapes in a transparent
manner (i.e. the Sun should think it owns the tape drive).

I would assume this kind of setup is far from unique, and that it
must be possible to directly access the tape drive from the Sun.
However, I'm not a real Unix guru, and would appreciate advice
on what system definitions etc. have to be set up in order for
the Sun to access the tape drive.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Tony Willis

Athabasca University          ...{ubc-vision,ihnp4}!alberta!auvax!willis  uucp
Box 10,000                        usercdir at ualtamts           BITNET
Athabasca, Alberta TOG 2R0
Canada                           (403) 675-6221