Cheaper winnies on an NCR tower

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Thu Aug 18 07:34:05 AEST 1988

? From: "H. L. Rogers" <rogers at ofc.columbia.ncr.com>

? Do you buy a stripped-down
? automobile and then add radio, ac, power this-and-that, etc. yourself?

It is widely known that some options can best be installed by the factory,
or vendor, for example, factory air beats the pants off add-ons. But yes,
I *do* add my own stereo system, and for the difference in price (100%
vs 200%) I will format my own disks, scan for bad blocks over the weekend,
set the unit switches, screw it into a rack myself, and rely on the
original manufacturers warranty for infant failures. For the difference
in price of $10K for an eagle (a few years ago) I can spend a whole week
on it. Also, most vendors will install (mechanically and switch settings)
third party disks that they sell themselves for $1K or $2K, so you win anyway.

This mostly works when adding identical drives to a system, and it is
often a good idea (and/or required) to buy the first disk from the vendor.

? HL Rogers    (hl.rogers at ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!