Reel-to-Reel Mounting

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Fri Aug 5 23:45:40 AEST 1988

In article <12781 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <299 at hrc.UUCP> dan at hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel VP) writes:
>>I use a CT S-640 with a Kennedy 9400 for backup.
>>My question is, how do I format the tape for mounting????
>
>9-track tapes are `formatted' by being written; indeed, tape controllers
>are often called `formatters'.

on the off chance he wants to know the data layout (other meaning of
format), the tape has to have a superblock and inode list the same way
a disk or ram based file system does.  there are two ways to achieve this:

create a file system on disk or in a ramdisk, then copy the entire
device onto tape.  this can be a real waste of space on the tape ;-(

an alternate method is to use the file system prototype feature of
mkfs to put the files on the device.  make a prototype and output it
onto the tape.

you have to use the block structured device rather than the raw file
system.  also, you can't mount the file system read/write since you
will trash the tape on the first file access when the tape's ilist is
updated.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with