Interlan drops a byte?

Fletcher Mattox fletcher at cs.utexas.edu
Sun Aug 21 11:17:16 AEST 1988

Has anybody else seen a 4.3BSD VAX with an Interlan Ethernet interface
drop a byte of data?  Well, that's what we're seeing.

For example, if you

	% rsh remotehost cat 183_byte_file

and the remotehost is a 4.3/Interlan host, the rsh will fail.

If you look at a packet on the wire, say, with etherfind or tcpdump,
the IP header claims there are 223 bytes (183+40 TCP/IP headers), which
is correct.  Yet there are really only 222 bytes of data in the packet.
Hmm.

Futhermore other file sizes fail.  It appears that if (n%256 == 183)
where n is the number of bytes in the above rsh, then TCP/IP fails
because a byte is dropped from the data.

If we replace the Interlan with a DEUNA, all is as it should be.

Any ideas?

--
Fletcher Mattox 	fletcher at cs.utexas.edu	 cs.utexas.edu!fletcher