AT&T Joining OSF

Rich Strebendt res at ihlpe.ATT.COM
Fri Aug 19 05:09:16 AEST 1988

In article <1991 at stpstn.UUCP>, aad at stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
> At one point IBM modified two (2) 360/65's to have
> virtual memory, and called it the 360/67, as a test to see if virtual
> memory would work.  CMU had one of them.  As I understand it, the 370
> is basically a 360 with vm.

Almost right.  There were a fair number of 360/67's and 370/168's
running the TSS 360/370 operating system.  The Bell Labs Indian Hill
computer center had (I believe) six /67's and /168's at one point being
used for hardware and software development for Electronic Switching
Systems.

To make the 360/67, a unit called the Direct Access Translator
(familiarly known as the DAT box) was added to a 360/65.  This hardware
was included in the 370 machines.  The DAT box could be turned off to
make the machine back into a /65.  At the Indian Hill Computation
Center when the 360/67 was introduced, it was used as a /67 during the
day running TSS, then was switched back to a /65 to help process the
backlogged work on the OS side of the computer center (as one of as
many as six slave processors on an ASP network).

				Rich Strebendt
				[iwsl6|ihlpe|ihaxa]!res
				[cuuxf|cuuxg]!iw1res!res