att & osf

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Thu Aug 11 01:45:50 AEST 1988

In article <268 at quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:

>Yes, let's have some light instead of quoting out of context, and
>let's have some common sense:  POSIX will be better for _everybody_
>(except AT&T) than the SVID, and a document which is totally controlled
>by one company can only be a stopgap as a standard.

I disagree. It is much easier to write portable software in SVID
than it is to do it in POSIX. POSIX left too many features optional
and implementation dependent.

It's like the OSI vs TCP/IP "war": the only difference is that OSI
was designed by a much larger committee (and you see what the final
product looks like).

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com