Eroff Experience

Robert Reed rreed at mntgfx.mentor.com
Mon Aug 29 13:22:30 AEST 1988

In article <16882 at adm.ARPA> 9531sons%UCSBUXA.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu (Jamie Sonsini) writes:

    Anyone had any experience with Eroff or Elan? Any other suggestions?

I bought the Elan Eroff package (pic, tbl, soelim, eqn, etc.) early this
summer for my MS(hitty)DOS system, and I would recommend it.  I have a
LW-II NT and everything works (mostly) pretty well.  They have a lot of
support for the Laserjet--font downloading, etc., and installation is real
easy.  They also have some utilities like a graphing package, etc.

My only complaints are that they apparently provide no utility to dump raw
Postscript files to the printer, and that the utility for printing lp
listings on a postscript printer (called psprint) dumps its output to STDOUT.
This latter feature makes me think that the latest product release had
the wrong ifdefs set (it does the perfectly reasonable thing for UNIX), but
with a few hours effort I was able to write my own lw transfer tool, so
psprint | lw works perfectly fine.