where to do line editing?

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Mon Aug 8 09:20:15 AEST 1988

As quoted from <1220 at ficc.UUCP> by peter at ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva):
+---------------
| In article <1495 at mcgp1.UUCP>, fst at mcgp1.UUCP (Skip Tavakkolian) writes:
| > He asked what would pipes be (take the place of pipes) in the context
| > of icons.
|
| Pipes should work just fine with icons. Better, even. You should just be able
| to grab your file, awk, grep, hook them together with rubber band lines,
| and hit "go". I'm amazed that nobody has implemented this yet.
+---------------

See below.

+---------------
| > C++.  I also believe it would require another data
| > abstraction, perhaps as widely accepted as the 8-bit-byte, that would have
| > the ability to carry more information about a phenomenon or an entity.
|
| Why? What are your reasons for deciding pipes are insufficient. What
| facility is missing with pipes? Am I missing something major here?
+---------------

I think he means he'd like to see a new socket domain which passes packets
which would be the equivalent of Macintosh resources (which are what are
stored in the clipboard and the scrapbook and even on the system heap, as
well as in the resource forks of files).  The best one can do with pipes
is implement the equivalent of MacBinary protocol on top of them, which is
doable but slows things down and makes the code bigger.  Besides, if one
puts them in the kernel then one can assign *and check* user/group IDs and
permissions on resources, allowing programs to pass resources around that
they can't access but *can* pass on to something else that can access them,
without producing a security problem.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc