Plan 9?

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Wed Aug 24 10:55:01 AEST 1988

As quoted from <282 at umbio.MIAMI.EDU> by jherr at umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington):
+---------------
| So how many re-writes of UNIX do we have running right now, let me
| see how many I know of.
|
| - Berkeley is developing BSD 4.4
| - AT&T is developing SVr4.
| - GNU is making GNU.
| - Sun and AT&T are "merging" UNIX for AT&T SVr5?
| - Plan 9.
| - Xenix.
| - Posix.
| - Mach (not UNIX, but damn close).
+---------------

- The merged Unix/Xenix product codeveloped by AT&T and Microsoft
- Altos System V (Altos got sick of waiting for the above)
- Do Comer's Xinu and Tanenbaum's Minix count?

I understand AT&T and Microsoft are a bit miffed at Altos for not waiting
until the "official" merged product was out to release their version.  Maybe
that's why Altos decided to join the OSF?  (Oooooh, my aching head!)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc