AT&T Joining OSF

John R. Mudd mudd-j at pike.cis.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 11 09:16:41 AEST 1988

In article <269 at quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <670025 at hpclscu.HP.COM> shankar at hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) writes:
>:How do you think IBM sells anything?  Product quality is usually priority
>:number 1 (like the Ford commercial :-)) at most of the big players in the
>:business.
>
>Have you ever used VM/CMS?  Or its Pascal compiler?

I may be putting my life and professional career on the line by saying this,
but I *liked* VM/CMS from a user point-of-view.  The shop I worked at had a
IBM 3090 running VM/XA with 200+ users, and that system was FAST.  Not like
some of the delays I've had on some of these Unix-boxes.  Of course, they're
not as big as a 3090, which is IBM's top-of-line model.  I don't know much
of anything about VM from a system programmer's POV, so I can't comment on
that aspect.

And please, don't think I'm an IBM lover, either.  I despise IBM for what
I consider their unethical practices of putting competitors out of business
(yea, yea, it's part of big business ... bull!!) and other things, like
a being a monopoly.  But one cannot deny that IBM has put out good (ok,
reasonably good .... all right, fair) products from time to time, and then
backed them up with incredibly good customer service.

And if you want to take this any further, take it to email (I hate flame wars).

                                          John
-=-
 John R. Mudd                     Department of Computer & Information Science
 The Ohio State University, 2036 Neil Avenue, Columbus, Ohio, USA   43210-1277
 email: mudd-j at cis.ohio-state.edu