CMS

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Aug 16 08:42:42 AEST 1988

As quoted from <1988Aug12.061040.18720 at utzoo.uucp> by henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
+---------------
| In article <19709 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> mudd-j at pike.cis.ohio-state.edu (John R. Mudd) writes:
| >>Have you ever used VM/CMS? ...
| >
| >... I *liked* VM/CMS from a user point-of-view.  The shop I worked at had a
| >IBM 3090 running VM/XA with 200+ users, and that system was FAST.  Not like
| >some of the delays I've had on some of these Unix-boxes.  Of course, they're
| >not as big as a 3090...
|
| Damn right they aren't.  Unix on a big Amdahl really blasts along too.
| Don't confuse hardware with software; of course a really big mainframe
| is faster than an overgrown mini.

And, of course, if you stick those 200+ users and VM/CMS on a 4300-series
processor, you start to long for the overgrown minis.  I know from
experience; Cleveland State's mainframe was usually far slower than ncoast,
which is a decidedly *slow* system (386 systems are faster with the same
load).

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc