where to do line editing?

Bob Pendleton bpendlet at esunix.UUCP
Wed Aug 10 01:01:42 AEST 1988

 In article <1188 at ficc.UUCP> peter at ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>How IBM mainframe of you. How about putting file editing in the terminal
>as well?

Anybody remember the UTS400, or UTS4010 terminals for the UNIVAC 1100
series mainframes? They had all sorts of local editing features.
Including local files, local printing, on the 4010 a local text
editor, and if that wasn't enough you could program them in UTS-Cobol.
Why you could declare the screen as a 24x80 array of characters, open
the host as a record oriented file and do anything you wanted with
characters coming from the keyboard.

Now days my terminal is a Sun 3/50 running SunOs 3.4 and X windows.
Ile gives me local input line editing, GNU emacs gives me local text
editing, NFS lets me open and access files on the host computer,
and I can program it in C. Of course some people call it a workstation.

Another turn on the wheel of incarnation.

			Bob P.
--
Bob Pendleton @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:  {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!bpendlet