transferring processes under csh

Andrew Duane duane at cg-atla.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 23:42:33 AEST 1988

In article <1264 at mcgill-vision.UUCP>, mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
> In article <1074 at imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, hiebeler at pawl23.pawl.rpi.edu (David Hiebeler) writes:
> > Does anyone know of a way to transfer processes between different
> > incantations of csh?
>
> > [Suppose I put a job in the background on one terminal.]
> > Is there any way at all that I can, _from another terminal_, bring
> > that job into the foreground _on the new terminal_?
>
> Insofar as this is possible, it's not exceptionally useful, and insofar
> as it's useful, it's not possible.  It would be relatively easy (easy
> relative to the other points I'll bring up, that is) to hack some way
> into the kernel to transfer ownership of the job from the one shell to
> the other.  It would even be possible to hotwire its file descriptors
> so that the ones that used to point to the old terminal now point to
> the new terminal.  (Is this enough?  You tell me.)
>
> [stuff about environments, terminal types being changed,
>  signals required, etc.]
> 					der Mouse

>From my days in college, I remember TOPS-20 (Twenex) being able
to do just about this. There was the DETACH command that
detached the current login session from your terminal (there
was still a command shell running, but not logged in). From
this same "not-login" shell, there was an ATTACH command that
would reattach a previously detached session.

Does anyone know how TOPS-20 handled the issues mentioned above?
Most of them are non-trivial, but at least one system figured
them out reasonably.

DISCLAIMER: It has been a long (LONG) time since I used TOPS-20.

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)  w:(508)-658-5600 X5993  h:(603)-434-7934
Compugraphic Corp.			 decvax!cg-atla!duane
200 Ballardvale St.		       ulowell/ \laidback
Wilmington, Mass. 01887		   cbosgd!ima/   \cgeuro
Mail Stop 200II-3-5S		     ism780c/     \wizvax

Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's breaking in the new help.