How can I read keyboard without stopping

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Mon Aug 29 07:07:06 AEST 1988

As quoted from <373 at marob.MASA.COM> by daveh at marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond):
+---------------
| In article <1202 at tjalk.cs.vu.nl> maart at cs.vu.nl () writes:
| >In article <1246 at mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
| >\		- generally, non-blocking mode *must* be turned off or
| >\		  the shell will die - so you must trap SIGBUS,
| >\		  SIGSEGV, SIGINT, etc.
| >Are you saying that the shell will die if a CHILD sets the non-blocking mode?
| >I guess your operating system isn't Unix.
|
| Mine is (Unix), and yes, the shell dies if a child dies with the terminal in
| non-blocking mode -- every time.  At least sh and ksh do; I don't know 'bout csh
| but I suspect the same is true.

Keep in mind that dup()'ed file descriptors and file descriptors inherited
across a fork() share a file table entry -- and it is the file table entry
that holds the O_NDELAY (FNDELAY on BSD) flag.  So yes, if a child changes
the no-delay status the parent sees it also.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc