dumping core on *(NULL) is not a function of your processor

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Thu Aug 4 07:42:25 AEST 1988

In article <62285 at sun.uucp>, guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
# > of expecting an ld option to appear in 4.4 that makes this an option.  It's
# > complicated because the kernel need to know about it also, and nobody wants
# > to allocate another magic number (or another set of them, really) and it's
# > hard to decide how else to pass the option in to the kernel.  Got any ideas?
#
# John Bruner, when he added "-Z" to "ld", added a new magic number for it, I
# think; it's like ZMAGIC only it leaves page 0 out of the address space.  I
# don't see any horrible problem with adding a new magic number.

A new magic number is nice 'cause then you could simply convert your existing
executables.  This would save having to recompile stuff, and would let you
check the products of vendors who only provide binary distributions.

Could a system call be added (horrors!) or an existing call modified to
map out page 0 (or for that matter, any arbitrary page you chose)?
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE MINE ONLY
| Bell Labs Area 61 (R.I.P., TTY)|  AND ARE NOT TO BE IMPUTED TO AT&T.
|        Skokie, Illinois        |
|-----Path:  att!ttbcad!levy-----|