IBM's influence on OSF (Re: AT&T Joining OSF)

Naim Abdullah naim at eecs.nwu.edu
Thu Aug 11 10:05:19 AEST 1988

Barry Shein wrote:

>Although this seems less important these days at the time I last
>seriously looked into it VMS sources required about 500MB of disk and
>a kernel rebuild reportedly took a standalone 780 overnight.

Why are VMS sources so significantly bigger than UNIX sources ? I thought
VMS was mainly written in BLISS and so the size would be comparable to
UNIX sources. Are VMS sources more heavily commented than UNIX sources
and can that be responsible for the size difference :-) ?

This is strange since Barry mentioned that VMS sources do not include DECnet
and UNIX sources even with tcp/ip and NFS do not take that much space.

		      Naim Abdullah
		      Dept. of EECS,
		      Northwestern University

		      Internet: naim at eecs.nwu.edu