A Sun question...

Greg_Baber gregb at dowjone.UUCP
Wed Aug 3 21:13:29 AEST 1988

Hello,
	This may be the wrong newsgroup for this, and if so, I apologize.

	Yesterday, I wanted to hook two Sun shoeboxes (71MB SCSI disk and
	60 MB 1/4" tape) together to increase my disk capacity. The Sun
	hardware manuals described how to connect the cables, but nothing
	about strapping options (like drive 0 or 1) and nothing about
	software configurations. It just so happened that my local Sun
	salesman called at that moment, just to shoot the breeze. I asked
	him about connecting the shoeboxes this way, and he said, "I'll
	call you right back".

	After about 10 minutes, he returned my call, saying that he had
	talked to the local tech rep there and that he (the tech rep)
	could come out to my site and do the modifications for me, and that
	it would cost $160 per hour, with a two hour minimum!

	I ashed whether he could give me the info over the phone, and the
	salesman replied that he (the tech rep) could describe the procedure
	over the phone, but that the charges would be the same ($320)!

	What gives?!? Must I pay for every miniscule bit of information
	that Sun neglects to put in their manuals? Does anyone else think
	that $320 is a bit too much for information on the placement of a
	few jumpers? Is corporate Sun pushing to sell more consulting/
	service calls? Can anyone tell me how to do this without charging
	me for it? If its a case of RTFM, manual and page #, please.

--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
	  Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		E-mail:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb