SVR3 console message capturing

Joe Bob Willie haugj at pigs.UUCP
Sat Aug 20 03:24:59 AEST 1988

In article <184 at thebes.Thalatta.COM> gregoire at Thalatta.COM (Keith Gregoire) writes:

>I am running Bell Tech System V/386, release 3 on a Bell Tech 386.
>
>I am looking for a way of capturing console error messages (notices,
>warnings and panics) to a file (or at least a printer) such as
>the way BSD and XENIX do with dmesg.  I have scoured the Bell Tech
>System Admin manuals and cannot find a clue as to whether there is
>an existing way to do this.  The dmesg command cannot be found.

is /usr/lib/errdemon present on your system?  we have it here.  it
takes reads from /dev/conslog and writes to /usr/adm/console_log.
i believe our system is S5R2 based.  one might assume bell tech didn't
remove features ...

however, the device driver for a console log output driver is very
simple.  read from the system error message ring buffer, write to
the user address space (passc() should be helpful here).  do this until
u.u_count goes to zero or passc() returns an error.
--
 jfh at rpp386.uucp	(The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers)
     "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity"