terminfo

Skip Tavakkolian fst at mcgp1.UUCP
Wed Aug 31 12:01:27 AEST 1988

In article <8377 at smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <508 at altos86.UUCP> clp at altos86.UUCP (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:
> >Why does terminfo exist?
>
> Because termcap was too limited.

Please explain.  I have built termcap  entries  for  AT&T610  and
UNIXPC  console  (display and keyboard personality) following the
AT&T ``suggested'' codes given in UNIXPC and newer (SYS V.3)  3B2
manuals.   For  every  terminfo code there is a corresponding and
for-historical-reasons  two  letter   termcap   code   for   each
capability, including keyboard. I like termcap because I can take
it with me.  I tried to use a terminfo entry that  was  ``tic''ed
on  a  3B2-600 SVR3 with the codes added since SVR2, to a 3B2-400
with SVR2.0.4 and some programs ungracefully barf.

Sincerely
--
Fariborz ``Skip'' Tavakkolian
UUCP	...!uw-beaver!tikal!mcgp1!fst