Televideo (CP/M) to Unix Copy

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sat Aug 20 10:07:29 AEST 1988

As quoted from <119 at gillxp> by rg at gillxp (Richard J. Gill):
+---------------
| I am looking for suggestions regarding copying data from a Televideo
| 816/40 (CP/M - I think "concurrent") to an NCR Tower (System V).
+---------------

If it's Concurrent CP/M (or possibly CP/M-86), you should be able to set the
serial port with SETUP.CMD and then copy a file with the command

			PIP LPT2:=filename.ext

(The device name may be wrong, I haven't used it in awhile and my manuals
aren't readily available.)  On the System V side, you can catch data from
the port most easily with "cu -l/dev/ttyXX dir | tee file", but you will
probably have to edit the file afterward.  A method which avoids editing is
somewhat more complex:

	$ sleep 30000 < /dev/ttyXX &
	$ stty icanon -echo eof '^z' ... < /dev/ttyXX
	$ for file in {put list of filenames here}; do
	>   cat -u - < /dev/ttyXX | tr -d '\015' > $file
	> done

This makes sure the port retains its settings, since after the last close it
returns to the probably-useless default.  The setting of "eof" allows the
Unix system to detect CP/M end of file automatically, assuming the last line
of the data file is terminated with the usual CRLF.  (If it's not, you will
have to separate the files manually anyway.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc