BiSync on UNIX

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Tue Aug 9 02:44:59 AEST 1988

? From: Guy Harris <guy at gorodish.sun.com>

? Depends on what you mean by "special conversion hardware".  I don't know what
? electrical standards (such as RS-232) are used to connect to bisync modems, but
? if you can use RS-232 for that you don't need any special conversion hardware.
? (There are probably lots of issues about "who supplies the clock" for the
? modem.)

BISYNC is a protocol that runs in synchronous mode. There are several
USARTS that do async, sync, and [SH]DLC, all over the same line. I
believe it's the DCE that supplies both clocks. I believe the dmf-32
has a sync mode as well. Now as for the protocol, have fun! I believe
it's been done before. Hey, if you can do SLIP...

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!