How can I read keyboard without stopping

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Aug 31 09:59:40 AEST 1988

In article <669 at super.ORG> rminnich at super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>You would think so, wouldn't you.

Perhaps.  I doubt one could make much use of it, since it would change
from moment to moment, as the user types.

>Also, on most unix's you can't tell whether there are 0 bytes
>to read because of an eof or 0 bytes cause nothing is there yet.

False (except perhaps on SysV, where read on a non-blocking descriptor
returns 0 instead of -1).

>I haven't looked lately to see if such a thing has been added; on 4.2-like
>systems you had to to shenanigans with select() and FIONREAD to determine
>that you were at EOF.

Again, false.  The only odd thing about EOF on a terminal is that it is
not `sticky', since it is (usually) caused by a human agent and not
something reliable :-) .