graphic pipes (was: where to do line editing?)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Aug 8 11:28:34 AEST 1988

In article <835 at yunexus.UUCP> oz at yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <1220 at ficc.UUCP> peter at ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
 >>
>>Pipes should work just fine with icons. Better, even. You should just be able
>>to grab your file, awk, grep, hook them together with rubber band lines,
>>and hit "go". I'm amazed that nobody has implemented this yet.
 >See 1986 Atlanta Usenix Conference proceedings for a neat implementation
 >of the concept, where multiple pipes (tee^n?) were implemented also.

Hmmm, could they really pick out, say 'tr', from 2 or 3 hundred similar
tools faster than typing the name in?  What about command line options?
Most tools need more than a filename.  If selecting the icon would then
present a form of choices for arguments and do some error checking before
going on to the next tool, there might be some advantage.

Les Mikesell