NFS security

Tom Chmara tpc at leibniz.UUCP
Sat Aug 13 02:38:42 AEST 1988

Not sure this is a question requiring wizardly knowledge, but I have
been informed that NFS is NOT particularly secure; i.e. "root"
on one machine can wreak havoc on another (I'm not speaking of
removing files from a r-w directory etc).  The speaker was not
overly clear about what the hole was, but he smugly assured me that
he could do much as he pleased if I were to allow him NFS access from
a machine on which he was root.  Is this a problem with NFS, or
with the HP or Apollo versions of NFS?
	Thanks...
		---tpc---