att & osf

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Fri Aug 5 09:01:54 AEST 1988

In article <3396 at vpk4.UUCP> scott at attcan.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) writes:
>There have not been two versions of the SVID, there have been volumes added
>to the SVID to cover developments in various areas, particularly networking.

If there haven't been two versions of the SVID, why does my copy call itself
"Issue 2" and list at the back a lot of differences between Issues 1 and 2?
Page 4 says
	This issue of the SVID correspond to functionality in AT&T
	System V Release 1.0 and System V Release 2.0.
Page 7 clearly states
	The SVID WILL BE REISSUED as necessary to reflect developments
	in the System V Interface.

As I have found to my cost, Issue 2 is not always a reliable guide to V.3.
Of course, it doesn't claim to apply to V.3.  I think a new issue of the
SVID will be needed when V.4 comes out, though whether there will be one
or not only AT&T know.