Help re "system processes"

Michael Bloom mb at ttidca.TTI.COM
Sun Aug 14 11:58:29 AEST 1988

	What I would like to do is write a kernel routine (i.e. a routine
	that is part of the UNIX system) that will receive and subsequently
	consume UDP packets destined for a certain UDP port.

	The problem is that in "udp_input" the packet is appended to the
	socket's receive buffer and then routine "sorwakeup" is called.
	Eventually, this results in all processes waiting on this socket
	channel to be awakened.  However, I want my kernel routine to
	be notified instead and it will then take the data received.

Unless you need a user context, how about comparing against the
"certain UDP port" and if the compare succeeds, post a software
interrupt in place of the sowakeup? If you're on a vax, you've still
got plenty of free software interrupt levels (three of which are
between splsoftclock and splnet).