Shell/Cshell questions

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Fri Aug 26 18:54:10 AEST 1988

In article <570020 at hpsemc.HP.COM>, bd at hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) writes:
> ncsrini at ndsuvax.UUCP (srini)asks and John Ferguson (ferg at koko.UUCP) replies:
[an attribution seems to have been lost -dM]
>>> 5. Where are the pprograms (system) for different commands
>>>    supppported by a shell usually located in a system?
>> You probably are referring to shell builtins.
> Built-in commands recognized by csh are duplicated as zero-length
> files in /usr/lib/builtins/.  (There is no corresponding directory
> for sh or ksh; the files in builtins/ are strictly for csh.)

Please, people, qualify questions and answers with a system type, or at
least general family.  I've never heard of /usr/lib/builtins and
neither have our machines (most of them BSD).  (Unless, of course, the
question or answer is inherently specific, such as "what's the BSD
analog of VMIN and VTIME".)

As far as I know, BSD doesn't have files anywhere corresponding to
shell builtins (sh, csh, foosh, it matters not).  Some things which are
built into some shells but not others exist as programs for the benefit
of the shells into which they are not built, but that's about it.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

(To stave off the flood: BSD has no direct analogs of VMIN and VTIME.)