SVID

H. L. Rogers rogers at ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM
Mon Aug 8 23:56:43 AEST 1988

In article <1275 at sfmag.UUCP> der at sfmag.UUCP (D.Rorke) writes:
>                                          Applications written
>to issue n of the interface [SVID] will continue work properly on
>a system which conforms to issue n + 1 (or any subsequent issue)
>subject to a specific evolution mechanism.

Does this not, *by definition*, limit technical advancement by
constraining new technology with *all* *old* technology?  You
can do things like dual or triple "universes," but one can only
carry so much baggage while successfully delivering new technology.
I guess most of us do this anyway for the sake of migration,
saving previous investments, etc.; just trying to find out if others
see this as a technical handcuff.
--
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers at ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)