Sys V wizard questions

Shankar Unni shankar at hpclscu.HP.COM
Mon Aug 15 10:30:37 AEST 1988

>	In trying to get TeX running on a 3B2/400, I noticed that
>after 14 or so characters, the file names get truncated! Can I set a
>parameter to change this (I don't have complete Sys V source), or am
>I stuck ? I have been told that this is part of Sys V Unix (hp840 did
>the same ...).

Yes, this is a SysV feature, also present in HP9000 series 800's
running HP-UX with release numbers 1.*. If you are on such a release of
HP-UX, you're SOL: you're stuck with 14-char file names.

HOWEVER, HP-UX 2.0 and later versions allow you to configure
individual file systems (or the whole file system, if you wish) to have
long (BSD) style names (<= 255 chars). That should solve your problem.

Oh yes: TeX (and any other product which uses ndir.h) will have to be
recompiled if you do the above conversion.
--
Shankar Unni.
Hewlett-Packard.