terminfo

Dave Yearke dgy at sigmast.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 02:45:50 AEST 1988

In article <4577 at cbmvax.UUCP> ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>                                              ... A significant advantage
>of termcap over terminfo is that it is "free form" ... you can add
>capabilities without having to redefine (and recompile) your database.

This can be a disadvantage, too.  It is most annoying when different
applications invent their own termcap capabilities and they "collide" by
using the same mnemonics.  Terminfo forces you to use its mnemonics, but
it is complete enough that it usually doesn't matter.

>I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, of course; I think terminfo is
>superior overall.

I agree.

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221