Mass storage for microvax II

Jack Jansen jack at cwi.nl
Fri Aug 26 19:23:00 AEST 1988

We're looking for some mass-storage for a microvax II, something
cheaper that the stuff DEC is offering.

We've looked at the Hitachi DK815-10 ESMD drive, which looks big
and fast enough for our needs.

However, we haven't yet figured out which controller to choose.

So, my questions:
- What are good Q-bus ESMD controllers, also from software point of
  view (this machine isn't running unix, so we'll have to write our
  own driver).
  Note: fancy buffering on the controller is not a plus, the machine
  will be a dedicated disk server with 16-64Mb disk cache anyway.
- Is this DK815-10 a reasonable drive or is there something else
  we should go for.

Thanks in advance, and I'll summarize on request, of course.
	Jack Jansen, jack at cwi.nl (or jack at mcvax.uucp)
	The shell is my oyster.