help please... (I'm losing my mind).

The Super User root at sultra.UUCP
Wed Aug 31 13:07:39 AEST 1988

Ok, I'm having terrible trouble with System V/68.  Can someone please shine
a bright light in the right direction.
The system configuration is this:
	Compaq 286 (used as an I/O processor) with a Motorola PC/68000 co-
	processor, running SysV/68 r2v1.  I believe the system has 2Mb of
	memory.  The co-processor was made by Sritek/Motorola/Four-phase.
So far, the system has been working just great, but recently I uucp'ed a
copy of compress (version 4.0) and installed it on the system.  Anyway
(if you're familiar with compress installation, I set USERMEM=100000 as
far as I remember), the problem is this;  When compress runs, if any other
user (ie, non-root) process, tries to fork, it gets this message about
being out of swap space (EAGAIN??).  This means, that the only processes that
can do any work are root processes!  The worst part is that this condition
persists until the system is shut down and restarted.  I've thought about
using a smaller USERMEM for compress, but I'm worried that I woun't get the
full BITS=16 (my newsfeed is BITS=16).  Anyway, it's driving me nuts, and
really starting to cause problems.  Any time a `news' daemon starts up,
everyone gets kicked off the system.  Error logs are doubling all over the
place.  I've run `crash', but I don't know what I'm looking for.  Everything
seems just fine from there.  Is there some way I can kick SysV into allowing
forks again??  Any help would be appreciated, but please, send mail, as my
news has all the consistancy of swiss cheese.  Mucho Thanks...
						- Der