!!! HELP !!! Problem with UNIX tip (cu) and modem

Greg Onufer cheers!exodus at daver.uucp
Fri Aug 5 00:51:29 AEST 1988

>From article <296 at mrsvr.UUCP>, by ssa at mrsvr.UUCP (xxxx):
>
> 	My question is:	is there a way to tell the modem to reset itself
> 	(ie: give it the ATZ command) after the dialing, and also:
> 	what makes the modem go back to factory configuration?

The problem is that tip/uucico/cu on the Suns and probably other
machines have a pre-determined configuration for your Hayes-
compatible.  Try finding the strings in uucico and tip to see
which commands it sends along.  One of them sets register 0
(number of rings to answer on) to 1.  This is _exactly_ what
tip/uucico shouldn't do unless told to.

 As long as it is somewhat hayes-compatible (joke)....
try this in you /etc/remote file:

	:pn=S0=3DT4159650604:   (replace phone number with whatever you
							 want).

and that will set it to answer on the third ring every time you dial.
I use this 'feature' of tip/cu since my personal machine
uses my home phone to call out.  It became annoying when every time
I called out for news/mail I would have to reset the modem by hand.
So in my uucp.hour script I placed a 'cu S0=0' to reset the modem
so that it would not answer the phone.  I also changed the phone numbers
in my /etc/remote file like shown above.  Now if I could just get my
modem not to dial out when I am talking to somebody.  It doesn't
behave like it should to the 'W' in the phone number (Wait for
dial tone).

The trick above is documented in the SunOS 4.0 documentation but
works in SunOS 3.5 and maybe even previous releases.

--
Greg Onufer   		GEnie: G.ONUFER		University of the Pacific
UUCP:						-= Focus Semiconductor =-