Does nobody *read* these articles? (was: 4.3BSD rename() changes ctime)

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Aug 8 08:22:25 AEST 1988

In article <37 at taux02.UUCP> amos at taux02.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
>There were many replies to the original article - except that none of the
>posters seem to have really read it. The guy did not ask whether a renamed
>file's ctime should changed, but rather, why did rename change it when
>both files were identical, and therefore no change was actually done!

I answered that in my first followup.  I think I even put it in the
`summary' line:  crash recovery.

(Basically, if you crash in the middle of a rename, the link count has
to have been bumped.  As a side effect, another part of the kernel updates
the ctime.  It would not be unfeasible to reset the ctime after the
rename completes, but it *would* require changes outside the ufs code.)