How can I read keyboard without stopping

The Beach Bum jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Tue Aug 16 23:38:52 AEST 1988

In article <1988Aug15.130550.8571 at ateng.uucp> chip at ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
|According to mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse):
|>3) FIONREAD.  BSD systems have an ioctl you can apply to a terminal
|>   line to get the number of characters queued available for a read().
|>   SV may have something similar; I don't know.
|>
|>   Bad:        - BSD only (as far as I know).
|
|Xenix has the exact equivalent to FIONREAD, but it's not an ioctl() call.
|Instead, it's a system call all its own: rdchk(fildes).

xenix has both methods.  the rdchk() and an ioctl() request.  it is
spelt differently, FIORDCHK.

this does not improve the situation.  real unix still doesn't have a
parallel method.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with