IBM bashing / OSF / SVID / added pennies

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Tue Aug 16 06:34:59 AEST 1988

In article ... ultra!wayne at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Hathaway) writes:
> From MY experience, what IBM did was collect together a bunch of toy
> components and a toy operating system and beat the hell out of it
  ...so that it...
> wouldn't break or crash or corrupt data every few minutes.

Are we talking about the same piece of junk MS-DOS 1.0 that I remember?
About the only advantage was that the stupid error message was changed
from "BDOS ERROR ON C: SELECT" to "ABORT, RETRY, IGNORE". In either case
it meant "YOU JUST LOST YOUR DATA, SUCKER".

> As someone who was actually making a living on pre-IBM PCs under CP/M...

And we're talking about a different CP/M, too. I don't recall any serious
deficiencies in CP/M that weren't shared by the early PC-DOS...

There were some crummy CP/M boxes, yes, but there were good ones as well.
--
Peter da Silva, Ferranti International Controls Corporation, sugar!ficc!peter.
"You made a TIME MACHINE out of a VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE?"