Shell/Cshell questions

srini ncsrini at ndsuvax.UUCP
Sun Aug 21 07:26:38 AEST 1988

Hello. Some questions on the working of the shell. I am using C shell.

1. When a variable is set, where and how is it kept track of?  Like, is
   there a symbol table maintained by the shell. Or, is it something
   else. In any case, can the user access these tables to find out
   about the variables? The answer to this would probably expplain

   the mechanism of the command "set".

2. Where are the environment variables stored? Is it in the same pplace
   as other variables or not?

3. What is the exact use of .cshrc and .login? Can one replace the other?
   If so, what are the side effects? How are the subshells affected by these
   files?

4. Can somebody recommend a book or an article that deals with the working
   of the shell? I am looking for one that talks about Cshell syntax in
   detail, also.

5. Where are the pprograms (system) for different commands supppported by
   a shell usually located in a system? I looked in /bin etc, but couldn't
   find them.

   I guess this is enough for now. Let me add that there could be some
   silly questions above due to the fact that I am not a pro in shell
   programming or anything. But, your responses to all or some of the
   above will be greatly appreciated whether sent directly to me or to
   the net. Thank you all in advance.

-- Srini

  (ncsrini at ndsuvax or ncsrini at plains.NoDak.edu  )
  (nu104046 at ndsuvm1  -- BITNET)