IBM's influence on OSF (Re: AT&T Joining OSF)

Greg Lee lee at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 15 04:10:54 AEST 1988

>From article <384 at halley.UUCP>, by bc at halley.UUCP (Bill Crews):
"...
"By the way, before the IBM PC, it was typical for a system to trash the
"contents of a diskette when it powered up.  Also, the MTBF was *very* low.
"Also, we had CP/M to enjoy.  Whatever you may think about DOS, CP/M is
"certainly much worse (like, swapping diskettes without remembering to warm boot
"first and goodbye diskette contents).  It may not have been *radical* change,

What in the world are you talking about?  My CPM system doesn't trash
diskettes.  I've used it regularly since I bought it in 1982,and I had
my first problem this year -- with the disk drive door.  For a given
investment in resources, CPM is better.

" but it was a big step forward in that it took personal computing out of the
			^^^^^^^ -> backward
	Greg, lee at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu