Interactive Background Processes

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Aug 2 07:59:57 AEST 1988

As quoted from <1988Jul19.223111.3644 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> by woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods):
+---------------
| Since I didn't want to go in to the requirements for implementing all of
| these things, I tried to make a simple statement.  I didn't want to
| consider things like homemade PTY or SXT drivers and such.  USUALLY a
+---------------

Are add-ons to SVR2 as made by various resellers exempt from this?  Because
they can easily lead to the same situation:  vendor X adds ptys but not
job control, and voila! emacs has interactive subprocess windows.

I have my doubts that layers can be used for emacs unless ptys can be
multiplexed they way terminals are -- of course, to be orthogonal with ttys
controlling ptys *should* be able to be multiplexed....

+---------------
| system that has the "facilities" [system calls / drivers] for
| implementation of such features will also have some user-level commands
| for exploiting these facilities, ie. shl will be there if you have
| sxt's, and systems with pty's [nice for emacs] will ususally have
| job-control facilities built into the shell as well.  BTW: Emacs may
| still not work with interactive processes on systems that have no PTY's
| or Streams, or multiplexed I/O.

While layers requires sxt's, there is no requirement that ptys and job
control go together; I have seen systems with job control but no ptys and
systems with ptys but no job control.

I think you're trying to argue for the use of "pure" Unix (AT&T or BSD), in
which case you must absolutely hate what Sun and AT&T are doing to your pure
Unicen right now....  ;-)
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc