"Real" Shells

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Thu Feb 11 11:53:12 AEST 1988

In article <17933 at topaz.rutgers.edu> ron at topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>Bourne shells are the only real shells.

And some are realer than others.

By the way, those of you with a recent release of the BRL SVR2 Bourne
shell that need to port it to Suns:  I recently did this; mostly it was
a matter of finding all the #if defined(BSD) || defined(BSD_SYSV) code
and adding || defined(sun) to it, plus using the dirent-based directory
library in subdirectory "ndir" (define NFS in the Makefile).  The edit.c
(interactive history editing) module also needs the ICRNL tweak disabled
for the Sun; apparently (at least on SunOS 3.2) their termio emulation
couples the I- and O- carriage-return/line-feed mapping to the same
CRMOD stty bit, and the I- mapping has precedence over the O- one.
There were a couple of minor tweaks other than the above, but nothing
too difficult to find and fix.

If the above makes no sense to you, you probably shouldn't be trying
to port the software.  You can get a Sun version from me, if I have
a copy of your AT&T UNIX System V Release 2.0 or later source license
on file.