Ksh Breaks With Mt. Xinu Kernel

Marc E. Rouleau mer6g at uvaarpa.virginia.edu
Wed Feb 17 06:54:05 AEST 1988

Recently we replaced the 4.3BSD kernel on a MicroVax with the enhanced
4.3BSD kernel from Mt. Xinu.  As I understand it, the main difference
between the two is that the Mt. Xinu kernel supports NFS.

Anyway, ksh, which we ported over from our AT&T toolchest, no longer
works very well.  In particular, the ENV variable (ENV=.kshrc) is broken.
Upon login, ksh executes the user's .profile, but not the .kshrc.

Also, history doesn't work at all, even when you set the HISTFILE variable.

Has anyone had this problem?  Has anyone solved it?  Does anyone care?

	-- Marc Rouleau		(marc at virginia.edu)