current pwd in prompt

G. Roderick Singleton gerry at syntron.UUCP
Sat Feb 13 10:59:36 AEST 1988

In article <11724 at brl-adm.ARPA> kevinc%bearcat.lim.tek.com at relay.cs.net (Kevin Cosgrove 627-5212) writes:
<Dave,
<
<> Can anyone explain to me how to get my prompt to be the current directory? I
<> have tried several methods without any success. It seems that no matter what
<> method I try, the prompt is evaluated once and never changes.
<>
<> Just in case it matters, I am on an AT&T 3B2/400 running korn shell under UNIX
<> System V.3.1.
<>
<> Thanks,
<>	Dave Mensing
<>
<>	mensing.henr801c at xerox.com
<>	(716) 427-6423
<
<	I use the following alias with  C shell.  I put the following line
<	in my ~/.cshrc file.
<
<	alias  cd 'chdir \!*;set prompt="[`whoami`@`hostname`-$cwd:t] "'
<_____________________________________________________________________________
<
<	Kevin Cosgrove           	Tektronix, Inc.
<	11K Plug-Ins Project Leader	PO Box 500, M/S 47-092
<	LIM Product Test Engineering 	Beaverton, OR  97077
<	kevinc at bearcat.LIM.TEK.COM	(503)-627-5212

For those with source lisences, there is yet another solution.  Install
the Georgia Tech modifications on /bin/sh and your requirement is met within
sh, itself.  Even better news you get tilde name and history without the
overhead of /bin/csh.  These were posted some time ago but are still available
from most of the archive sites.  Makes using Bourne shell worthwhile.
--
G. Roderick Singleton              |  "ALL animals are created equal,
   <gerry at syntron.uucp>,           |   BUT some animals are MORE equal